Saturday 26 December 2009

Week 17 - Dub a Dub a Dub Dub (The True Sound of Christmas)

Yes it's Christmas, yes it's a blog about Christmas songs, and yes there are some less traditional ones in it. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Anyway, ridding myself of the true spirit of Christmas for a minute and pretending to be oh-so jolly, I'll wish everyone a Merry Christmas, but hold off extending those sentiments to the new year as I'm hoping to have done another blog by then.

For me, Slade, Wizzard et al are beyond the pale when it comes to Christmas tunes. They're so deeply imbedded into the festive fabric that I can't begin to consider them songs. They're like the chill wind blowing through the aisles of supermarkets and shops selling yuletide tat. As such I can't really hear them anymore. Although I do still hear Noddy scream "It's Chriiiiiiiiiiiistmas", oh yes. I hear that as if I'm in Alabama State Penitentiary and Bubba's just crept up behind me and whispered "I'm gwine-a make you my beeeatch". I don't much care for it. It's not that I don't like Slade, the rest of the year their songs are great.

Another 'traditional' one that doesn't make my best three is Fairytale of New York. I love this, whether it be Kirsty and the Pogues, Christy Moore or even No Use for a Name. The problem is that I can listen to this at any time of the year, and quite often do.

But onwards.

First up is a song from 1965, but you really wouldn't know it. It sounds much later. It's the Sonics doing Santa Claus. I'm not a fan of saccharine sludge and this really puts the claws into Santa, proper fuzz guitars from a garage band. Considering the lyrics revolve around getting nothing for Christmas, it's remarkably upbeat. Rock on.

Next is a wonderful track by a band I've always struggled to get in to. It's Just like Christmas by Low. A lovely voice and sleigh bells means it just oozes festive cheer. It seems to be about a tour of Scandinavia and how the band find their seasonal spirit in Oslo. Oh, and it mentions snow and wintery places. All good.

Finally, I suppose this is by far the most 'traditional' song on this list - it's on those 100% Christmas! albums you see. It's a song about war, and perhaps cynically added a bridge and sleigh bells to make it Christmassy. Still, it has one of the most recognisable intros ever. It's perfect music for nodding your and playing the imaginary trumpet and is ripe for a dub cover version. Word to the wise though, don't put it on repeat on a jukebox boozer, publicans don't always appreciate it.

It's Jona Lewie's Stop the Cavalry and I love it!

Ho ho ho, merry Christmas and all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment